- Stay away from the casual snack. You want to pass on small candies, nuts, chips, or bread. Although you might be snacking, you'll eat more than you think. A bag of chips can have as much as 400 empty-calories. Depending on how many handfuls you take, nuts can have as much as 200-525 calories! Little candies many seem like a small bit, but even the smallest piece can have as much as 200 calories, and a few could add up to your daily calorie intake.
- Limit salad toppings and dressings. You may think that having a green salad with some tomatoes is a healthy snack, but half a cup of Caesar salad dressing has more than 500 calories! Either choose a low-cal, fat-free version, or pass. Also, adding croutons, bacon, cheese, and nuts to your salad adds up. Instead, try tomatoes, cucumbers, or red peppers.
- Use smaller plates. Switch out your 12 in. plate for a 10 in. one. The size makes a difference. Studies say that the small your plate is, the less you'll eat. You eat 20-25% less, and can save as much as 400 calories. You won't feel starved, only more satisfied.
- Skip the whip. Especially now that the winter weather is here, skipping the whip is extremely important. You can drop 100-200 calories on buying a "no whip" drink from Starbucks instead. If you are a whip cream addict, I suggest getting cool whip- either low calorie or fat free. It'll save you 75-125 calories!
- Don't drink up your calorie intake. Most people forget about the caloric drinks they intake. A 12 ounce soft drink or soda has 150-200 calories. A regular Gatorade may seem tasty after practice, but that can add up to 200 calories. Things like lemonade and milk may seem more on the heartier-healthier path, but a glass of 2% milk can have over 150 calories, and a regular lemonade is about the same 150+. I would go for a low calories or fat free version for both. For the milk, you could save 50-75 calories. For the lemonade, you could try a version instead for only 5 calories!! Also, stay away from smoothies unless you know the exact ingredients. Some are made with ice cream which can bump up the calories for a bloating feeling.